2017-07-07

Snow White, as a Play, scene 14, A Woman of the Camp

prev TOC

[Scene 14, A Woman of the Camp -- 

N: Narrator, K: King, 

J(SW): Snow White, in disguise as the servant, Jane,

C: Councilor, S1 & S2: two Soldiers,

AB: the King's armor bearer, R/M: Runner/Messenger,

P: Prince of the Enemy camp]


S1: The Queen's Maid is a sight to be seen.

N: The young woman was watching the night sky at the edge of camp.

C: You should keep your thoughts and your eyes in check, soldier.

S2: But you have eyes for her too, I think.

C: I am bound by the Queen's orders. I must watch her.
    If she comes to any harm, I come to the same.

S1: Cruel. They say the Princess and the Maid look alike.

C: I can tell them apart when they are together.

S2: They say she is only inferior in beauty to the Queen.
    And the Princess, of course.

C: They have loose lips.

N: Both soldiers busied themselves with the camp fire for a moment,
    then returned to watching the soldiers on guard duty around the camp.

S1: The Slow Moon is high.

N: The Councilor looked quickly at the soldier who had spoken,
    then at the other, who was again watching the young woman.

C: I don't know that I would say that.

N: The soldier who had spoken only nodded.

C: Jane. Isn't it time to retire?

J(SW): Yes, I suppose it is.

N: In a prearranged signal, Snow White, in her disguise as Jane,
    stretched and looked first at the larger Slow Moon,
    then at the smaller Fast Moon.
    Having thus told her friends trailing the camp that she was safe,
    she returned to campfire.

J(SW): I will retire now.
    With both moons high tonight, I think I could read,

C: The Princess spoils you, teaching you to read.

J(SW): It is only that I may better serve their Majesties.

C: So they say. So they say.

N: The trip to the battlefront took most of a week.

C: Your Majesty, I bring supplies and news.

K: That is good.

J(SW): And the Princess's Maid,
    with a charge to serve you as you need.

K: I see.

N: And the King saw more than the Councilor, of course.

C: I don't see how she can help.

K: You must be tired from the journey.

J(SW): Shall I tend to your wounds?

K: I think you should. Councilor, how about the supplies?

C: I shall see to them, sire.

N: When the Councilor was out of hearing,
    the King's Armor Bearer signaled to him.

K: I must say, I am not surprised, although it is against my orders.

J(SW): You have not had your wounds properly dressed.

K: I am not the only man with wounds in the camp.

AB: I will send for bandages and medicine.

J(SW): I shall need help by the river.
    There are herbs for dressing wounds there.

AB: Then I shall call for someone.

J(SW): See that the Councilor is made aware that I go.

K: He did not use the signs.

J(SW): He does not trust your Advisor.

K: Then he is not

N: Snow White put her fingers to the Kings lips.

J(SW): We work with whom we must.

K: You've learned your lessons maybe too well.

N: On the third day that Snow White, in disguise, was in camp,
    the enemy Prince raised a flag of parley.

C: It's a trick.

K: See that our allies are informed.

C: Soldier!

S1: Sir!

C: Send signals to the camps of the allies.

S1: What shall I inform them of, sir?

K: I am meeting with the Prince of the enemy to arrange parley.
    Jane, you will attend me.

J(SW): I hear and obey.

C: She will just be in the way, Sire!

K: I thought you knew, Councilor, that the servants of the Palace
    are trained in all the arts and service of the court.

C: I shall prepare to attend.

K: I think I won't need your help.

J(SW): But, M'Lord, he would take news back to the Kingdom.

K: Then, Councilor, I must put you under oath.
    You must remain silent during the meeting.

C: By the King's word.

K: And there may be news which you will not be able to tell.

C: Understood.


[JMR: Written between 21 January and 7 July 2017, and posted on 7 July.]




TOC next

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿