2014-06-30

Romeo and Juliet Excerpt 6 -- Mercutio and Tybalt Die

[Intended to be presented by junior high or high-school level students of English as a foreign language. Continuing from here.]

Narrator: Benvolio and Mercutio have been out on business.

Benvolio: Mercutio, let's go home. It's too hot.
  In weather like this, it's easy to get into an argument.

Mercutio: What do you have against a good argument?
  Speaking of which, here come some Capulets.

Benvolio: I definitely do not want to argue with them.

Tybalt: Good evening. Could we talk?

Mercutio: I think you want to do more than talk.

Tybalt: Ready any time you are.
  Mercutio, you hang around with Romeo, ...

Mercutio: And what if I do?
  Is there some problem with that?

Benvolio: This is a public place.
  We could discuss things more freely in some private place.

Mercutio: I see no need to go anywhere.

Narrator: Tybalt sees Romeo approaching.

Tybalt: Well, we have nothing to discuss.
  There is the man I want to talk with.

Mercutio: And he's a better man than you.

Tybalt: Romeo, I hate you. You are scum!
  Die!

Romeo: Oh, Tybalt, we should be friends.
  Let's not talk about hate.

Tybalt: You have injured me! Draw your sword!

Romeo: But how could I injure you?
  You are a Capulet, and I love all Capulets.

Mercutio: You are being a coward, Romeo!
  Tybalt, do you want to fight?

Tybalt: Ready when you are.

Romeo: My friend, Mercutio, put your sword away.

Mercutio: Come on Tybalt.

Romeo: Benvolio, help me stop them!
  Fighting in the streets is against the law!
  Stop, Tybalt! Stop, Mercutio!

Narrator: Tybalt's thrust under Romeo's arm has fatally wounded Mercutio.

Mercutio: I'm going to die.
  Did he get away without a scratch?
  I hate you both!

Benvolio: Are you wounded?

Mercutio: Call a doctor!

Romeo: Please hang on!
  It's not too bad, is it?

Mercutio: Maybe it's not too bad, but it's bad enough.
  If you look for me tomorrow, you'll find me in the graveyard.
  Why did you try to stop us?

Romeo: I meant it for the best!

Mercutio: I'm dead meat.
  Benvolio, help me to some shelter.
  I hate you both! And your families, too!

Romeo: My new cousin Tybalt has fatally wounded my friend Mercutio!
  And it's my fault for trying to stop the fight.
  Oh, Juliet, my love for you makes me think like a girl.


Benvolio: He's dead. Brave Mercutio is dead!
  Here comes Tybalt, now.

Romeo: Tybalt, you are a dead man.

Tybalt: It's your fault for hanging around with him.

Narrator: So Romeo and Tybalt fight.

Benvolio: And now Tybalt's dead.
  If the prince catches you, you're dead, too.
  Romeo., you must go away.

Romeo: Why does fate play games with me?

[End of excerpts.]



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿